Over the past few decades, science has demonstrated the beneficial impact of nature on everything from stress relief to healing. Now, a 2009 study suggests that exposure to the natural environment may also enhance our ability to care, our appreciation of community, even our generosity. The Benefits of Appreciating Nature – Why Exposure to Nature […]
- NRC Board to Hold Hearings on Texas Storage ProposalA Nuclear Regulatory Commission Atomic Safety and Licensing Board will hear oral arguments on petitions for an adjudicatory hearing on Interim Storage Partners' license application for an interim facility to store spent nuclear fuel in Andrews County, Texas.
- First Female Director Appointed to Head Iowa DNRKayla Lyon has been appointed director of the Iowa Department of Natural Resources, effective July 8. She will replace Bruce Trautman, who has served as the agency's acting director since May 2018, and is DNR's first female director.
- Dyno Nobel Settles EPA Case Over Oregon Facility's ReleasesThe $939,852 being paid by the company as part of the settlement will purchase emergency response equipment for authorities in Columbia County, Ore. Dyno Nobel also will file revised estimates of its total ammonia releases and will update its Risk Management Plan.
- Maryland's Governor Signs Energy Efficiency MeasureThe "Maryland Leads by Example" executive order directs the Maryland Department of General Services and the Maryland Energy Administration to develop and manage an energy savings initiative in state-owned buildings.
- Tennessee Settles Lawsuit Over TVA Coal Ash PondsThe settlement requires the Tennessee Valley Authority to remove approximately 12 million cubic yards of coal combustion residuals from its active coal ash ponds at the Gallatin Fossil Plant, closing the coal ash pond complex and remediating the area in accordance with state law.
- DOE Proposes to Redefine High-Level Radioactive WasteAccording to DOE, the revised interpretation, "if implemented through subsequent actions," could provide a range of benefits to both DOE and the public.