Tafi Atome Monkey Sanctuary
An NCRC & Partners Community-Based Ecotourism Site
Nestled in the heart of the Volta Region (43km South of Hohoe and less than 200km north of Accra) lies the beautiful peaceful village of Tafi Atome. Tafi Atome is surrounded by an indigenous flower-filled tropical forest with endangered, playful True Mona Monkeys, birds, butterflies and squirrels. The villagers of Tafi, believing the rare True Mona monkeys to be sacred messengers to the gods, have protected the monkeys and their indigenous forest grove habitat for almost two hundred years.
- Enjoy nature walks, view the monkeys and learn about medicinal plants. Best monkey viewing times are before 8:00 am and between 3:30 pm – 6:30 pm.
- Evening entertainment includes drumming and dancing, especially under moonlight, listening to old fables around a bonfire, or drumming lessons.
- Stay overnight with a family in the village and witness or participate in their activities.
- Rent a bicycle and visit nearby tourist attractions.
Ghanaians, Peace Corps and other Volunteers, and children receive discounts on Monkey Sanctuary entrance fees.
- Local homestay accommodation in typical sub-Saharan rural setting with mosquito net provided. (Homestay, breakfast, supper and evening entertainment package price offered).
- Local cooks to cater dinner and breakfast at your request.
- Soft drinks, beer and alcohol, including local “Kill me Quick” or Akpeteshie, at a few local spots.
- Souvenirs are sold at the Information Office.
- Bikes available to rent by the day.
For More Info Contact:
- From Accra / Tema Metropolis:
Take trotro bus in Accra to Hohoe. Get down at Logba-Alakpeti junction. Take a left and go straight for 5 km (staying left at the fork before the village), then report at the Visitor Centre.
- From Ho, pick a Hohoe trotro from Ho Lorry Park near Big Market. Get down at Logba-Alakpeti as above.
- From Hohoe,
Head southward on a Kpeve or Ho trotro, and get down at Logba-Alakpeti as above.
Kente cloth weaving at nearby Tafi-Abuife (10 km),
The view of Mount Gemi at Amedzofe (15 km), Waterfall of Amedzofe (15 km), Limestone caves at Logba Tota (10 km), Old German buildings at Kpando Todzi (25 km), Mountain Afadjato and Tagbo Falls at Liati-Wote (35 km), Wli waterfalls in the Agumatsa Wildlife Sanctuary (45 km), The Tsatsadu Waterfall, Alavanyo -Abehenease (25 km)