Bunso Arboretum |
An NCRC & Partners Community-Based Ecotourism Project
The Bunso Arboretum is a peaceful 6.5 hectare research arboretum maintained by Ghana’s Centre for Plant Genetic Resources. Covering a steep hill, the protected forest is a sanctuary for many species of trees, shrubs, climbers, birds, insects, butterflies and small mammals. It is an excellent location for birding, and at night the tree hyraxes and bush babies are particularly vocal. Take a rest at Bunso to enjoy nature walks and the gardens, or make it a weekend getaway.
- Watch for over 110 species of birds that have made the arboretum their home.
- Stroll along many kilometres of winding nature trails and identify trees and plants while learning about their diverse local food and medicinal purposes.
- Local herb garden with over 100 herbs for cooking, medicine, or aromatic uses.
- Butterfly sanctuary with a large population of different species to identify.
- Beautiful colonial-era guesthouse on the top of the arboretum hill overlooking the forest, where you can relax for the night or enjoy a delicious meal.
- Picnic area where you can have a snack or drink while surrounded with birds, butterflies, and all nature has to offer.
- Spend the night surrounded by the peace of the forest four self-contained units at the Bunso Arboretum Guesthouse atop a hill with a gorgeous view overlooking the forest.
- Continental meals are prepared by a caretaker for guests and day visitors, and there is a lovely outdoor terrace where you can relax after hiking the trails of the arboretum, and look out onto the forest canopy.
- Bunso village has local food and cold beverages.
- Lodging is also available at the Cocoa College in Bunso, or at hotels in Koforidua, a 30-minute drive from Bunso.
- The Bunso Arboretum is conveniently located three kilometres off the Accra-Kumasi Road, about 120 km north of Accra and 30 km west of Koforidua.
- On public transportation from Accra, take an Anyinam or Nkawkaw car and alight at Bunso Junction.
- On public transportation from Kumasi, take a car heading toward Accra and alight at Bunso Junction.
- On public transportation from Koforidua, take a car heading toward Anyinam, Nkawkaw or Kumasi and alight at the Bunso Arboretum.
For More Information:
Please feel free to contact the Plant Genetic Resources Centre for information, current rates, or reservations: