Bobiri Forest and Butterfly Sanctuary|
An NCRC & Partners Community-Based Ecotourism Project
The Bobiri Butterfly Sanctuary is located in the pristine 54.5 sq. km Bobiri Forest Reserve’s virgin semi-deciduous tropical rainforest. Bobiri is a research forest, and has one of the highest butterfly counts in Ghana.
The beautifully landscaped grounds include a forest arboretum, and flower gardens designed to attract abundant butterflies representing about 500 species. Bobiri is a great day trips from Kumasi, or a vacation getaway year-round.
- Exchange greetings with the people of the small Ashanti community of Kubease, or enjoy the unusual painted murals. Shop for traditional handicrafts, or eat local foods.
- Explore nature trails that weave through lush foliage under tree canopy ceilings, where insect life abounds.
- Hire a guide and learn about the forest environment or hear local stories.
- Stroll or have a picnic in the Forest Arboretum of indigenous trees.
Relax at the colonial era research station or large visitor centre.
- A well-maintained Guesthouse surrounded by tall, ancient trees with 4 large rooms (each has 2 comfortable Double Beds, WC / Private Bath with Hot Water) and 2 small rooms (each has 1 comfortable Double Bed, WC / Shared Bath). All rooms have a beautiful painted mural. Conference / TV room also available. Limited generator electricity.
- Traditional, tasty, abundant and reasonably priced breakfast, lunch and dinner served on request. Soft drinks, Beer, Juice and potable drinking water available.
- Use of kitchen, dishes, utensils, pots and pans and / or kitchen staff for negotiable price. Local foods for sale in the village and / or bring your own.
Kubease, the gateway to Bobiri Forest Reserve, is 30 km from Kumasi and about 25 km from Konongo on the Kumasi – Accra highway, between Hwereso on the east and Duapomfo to the west.
For More Info:
- Coming by private auto, watch for directional signs just prior to Kubease. Turn into the village and travel on a dirt road 3.5 km to the guest house.
- By public transport from Kumasi’s Asafo Lorry Park, take Ejisu trotro/bus, then hire a taxi to the guesthouse. OR, take trotro to Kubease, and walk 3.5 km to the guest house.
- By public transport from Accra to Kumasi, drop at Kubease, then walk 3.5 km or hire a taxi to the guest house.