Nature Conservation Research Centre (NCRC) is recognized internationally as a leader in developing rural ecotourism and community protected areas as a means of economic development and resource conservation. NCRC’s initiatives have facilitated sustainable economic development in scores of poor rural areas of Ghana and other nations in West Africa. Founded in Ghana in 1996, NCRC […]
- DOE Proposes to Redefine High-Level Radioactive WasteAccording to DOE, the revised interpretation, "if implemented through subsequent actions," could provide a range of benefits to both DOE and the public.
- Carnival Cruise Lines Paying $20 Million Criminal Penalty for Probation Violations"A corporation is responsible to its shareholders and board of directors to be profitable, but not by breaking the law and destroying the very environment in which it navigates for profit," said Ariana Fajardo Orshan, U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Florida. "Carnival's failure to comply with the terms of its probation and, later, […]
- Pennsylvania DEP Issues Draft Denial of Waste PermitThe Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection announced May 15 it has issued a Notice of Intent to Deny to Elcon Recycling Services, LLC for its Phase II Part B commercial hazardous waste treatment and storage facility application, based on a number of outstanding deficiencies that remain unaddressed to its satisfaction.
- EPA Adds WV Site to Superfund ListThe site has seen significant contamination issues going back to the 1980s, when elevated levels of polychlorinated biphenyls were first discovered by the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection in the soil near the old Shaffer Equipment Company location.
- NY DEC Announces Design Opportunity for Hudson Communities"This unique opportunity will help waterfront communities along the Hudson River bolster their resilience by designing innovative projects like floodable parks and flood-adapted buildings," said Basil Seggos, commissioner of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.
- EPA Region 9 Launches Smart Sectors Pacific SouthwestIn the Pacific Southwest, EPA is engaging with the oil and gas sector initially and plans to expand to several other sectors this year.